The US Department of Health and Human Services has 30 days to develop a spending plan for $733 million earmarked for response to the Ebola treatment in the US and…Continue Reading
A woman refused to give Justin Bieber her phone number and said he looks like DeGeneres “in person.”Continue Reading
BEIJING — A court in northern China on Monday cleared a man of the rape and murder of a woman in a public toilet 18 years after he was executed for the crime.
The Inner Mongolia Higher People’s Court announced on its microblog that it had overturned the conviction of Huugjilt, who was 18 when he was sentenced to death and executed for the 1996 crime. Like many ethnic Mongolians, Huugjilt used only one name.
The deputy head of the court, Zhao Jianping, offered his “sincere apologies” to Huugjilt’s parents, China’s official Xinhua News Agency reported. The parents received 30,000 yuan ($5,630) as an expression of the court’s sympathy and were told they could claim an unspecified amount of compensation.
Chinese state media carried photos of a court official handing over the verdict to Huugjilt’s weeping parents at their home in Inner Mongolia’s regional capital of Hohhot.
State media had previously reported that a convicted serial rapist and killer confessed to the murder in 2005 after receiving a death sentence for other crimes, but was never tried for this killing and has still not been executed. Huugjilt’s retrial was held only last month.
Huugjilt had come to the attention of the police after reporting that he had found the woman’s body in a public toilet in Hohhot after hearing a cry for help.
China is believed to execute more people for crimes each year than the rest of the world combined, but keeps the data secret.
Huugjilt’s trial and execution came amid one of China’s periodic “strike hard” campaigns, during which police and courts were put under extra pressure to break cases and punish criminals.
China’s high court has since taken charge of reviewing all death sentences and has pledged to carry out executions for only the most heinous crimes.
More people packing into already sardine-like subway trains and a spike in repair work has snarled subway service over the past year, new data shows. Weekday subway delays have risen…Continue Reading
The spending bill quietly includes legislation affecting thousands of small businesses. Ten questions to ask before allowing employees to telecommute. And why retailers keep sending out catalogs.Continue Reading
To achieve its independence from the the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, an architecture school says it needs to raise $2 million by the end of 2015.Continue Reading
Monika Miczura Juhasz claims Beyoncé recorded her voice in 1995 while she was singing a traditional Roma folk song.Continue Reading
Sydney’s hostage crisis ended early Tuesday as police stormed the cafe that had been under siege for about 17 hours, New South Wales Police said.
The gunman, named by Australian media as 50-year-old Iranian Man Haron Monis, wasn’t seen leaving the building after police opened fire on the cafe. A number of hostages ran out of the building a few minutes earlier.
The siege that began Monday morning triggered a lockdown in Sydney’s central business district, three months after Australia raised its terrorism alert to the highest level in a decade.
Paramedics converged on the site of the siege and assisted hostages from the cafe, television footage showed.
The mother of a hostage being held captive in the Lindt cafe in Sydney said her heart stopped when her son texted her to say where he was. Mel told…Continue Reading
We say goodbye to Aaron Sorkin’s drama with a totally predictable, fairy tale ending.Continue Reading