Most marketers don’t take the ROI from content marketing seriously. They assume the content marketing ROI to be good. If you fall in the same category then you might be making a huge mistake. Successful marketers always measure the ROI from content marketing and also take appropriate steps to boost it.
Let’s understand what is content marketing ROI? how to calculate it? and learn some tips to boost the ROI percentage from content marketing.
What is Content Marketing ROI And How To Measure It?
The Content Marketing ROI measures the revenue gained from your content marketing efforts when compared to the actual spent.
Follow the below ways to find out your content marketing ROI:
- Calculate the amount of money spent on producing each and every piece of content like articles, infographics, videos, images or even content editing.
- Identify the amount of money spent on the promotion of articles like PPC Ads, SEO, Press Release, etc.
- Add the money spent on any content marketing tools like Buzzsumo, Grammarly, Trello, etc.
- Figure out the number of leads you are able to generate from your content pieces.
- Calculate the actual ROI by subtracting the lead amount from the money spent and then dividing the result by the amount of money spent. The result should be multiplied by 100. You will get your ROI. For example, if the lead amount is $5000 and the money spent on content writing + promotion is $2000 then the difference comes to $3000. The result $3000 is divided by $2000. It equals to 1.5. The final result is multiplied by 100. It equals to 150%.
Top Ways To Boost Your Content Marketing ROI
Here are the top 5 ways to boost your content marketing ROI by leveraging the power of analytics and several other tools:
1- Keep Vanity Metrics Away and Focus on Real Metrics
In order to measure the content marketing ROI properly, you need to ignore vanity metrics like number of registered users, number of downloads or number of page views. These metrics do not necessarily help to measure the number of leads.
Instead, real metrics like the number of leads generated from every webpage, traffic generated on the site via specific high intent keywords and the total number of conversions happening on the site are metrics that directly impact your bottom line.
2- Improve The Quality of Traffic To Your Site
The quality of traffic is a great indicator that your website is getting hits from real users instead of bots. You can use the power of specialized analytics software like Finteza to measure the quality of traffic on your site and take appropriate steps to improve it.
Simply click on the Quality tab after logging into FInteza analytics and you will see a dashboard as shown in the below screenshot:
The green bar indicates pure traffic which includes live users, the yellow indicates traffic coming via proxy servers and VPN, red indicates traffic generated via spam IP addresses and grey indicates traffic coming from social networks/bots.
Finteza provides a metric known as Traffic Quality Level that directly indicates the percentage of pure traffic on your website.
The higher the percentage, the better is the quality of traffic on your website. Quality traffic always leads to better ROI.
3- Prepare Evergreen Content
Evergreen content is the content that always remains relevant and never loses its value. This is opposed to seasonal content like news stories.
Choose keywords that quality for evergreen content and apply strategies like the Skyscraper content strategy to make the content stand apart in the search results. This will help you to easily defeat your competitors in the search results and gain more traction.
You can make use of tools like BuzzSumo to find the top content generated by your competitors and produce content on a similar style but even better than them.
4- Repurpose Your Content
Instead of using your content just once, repurpose your content pieces and distribute them across several channels in order to boost the overall ROI generated from them. Here are some ways to repurpose your content:
- Turn your content into Podcasts or videos.
- Republish the same content on a different platform.
- Combine your top articles as roundup posts.
- Create an infographic out of your old blog post.
- Turn a Quora Q&A into a blog post.
5- Take The Help of Influencer Marketing
Influencer marketing is an extremely effective way of reaching a wide range of audiences. You can tie up with micro influencers and ask them to promote your content on their social media channels.
Micro influencers often have a lot of loyal followers who always take action on the shared content. Mention is a great platform to find influencers in your niche.
Besides, tying up with micro influencers is easy and doesn’t cost a fortune. This way you can boost your existing content marketing ROI without disturbing your content marketing budget.
Content marketing still remains one of the top digital marketing channels but we are living in an age called the ‘Content Overload’. This essentially means ‘less is more’. Marketers must understand the importance of improved ROI in their marketing strategy. Make use of the above strategies to improve your content marketing ROI and generate more leads for your business.